Monday, April 8, 2013

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Be Joyful

"Somehow joy is much harder to express than sadness. It seems that we have more words for sickness than for health, more for abnormal conditions than for normal conditions. Does this mean there is less joy in life than sadness? Perhaps. But it is also possible that joy is in fact a deeper more intimate, more 'normal' condition than sadness and pain, and therefore harder to articulate.

For Jesus, joy is clearly a deeper and more truthful state of life than sorrow. He promises joy as the sign of new life ...

Jesus connects joy with the promise of seeing him again. In this sense, it is similar to the joy we experience when a dear friend returns after a long absence. But Jesus makes it clear that joy is more than that. It is 'his own joy,' flowing from the love he shares with his Creator and leading to completion."


From Lifesigns: Intimacy, Fecundity, and Ecstasy in Christian Perspective
by Henri J.M. Nouwen 

"I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Creator is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As God has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Creator's commandments and abide in that love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete. John 15:5-11 (NRSV)

"Loving God, let my life be a witness to your commandments, let me not be as a withered branch that is thrown into the fire and burned. May I pray to you in joy and in times of adversity. Amen."

From Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen
compiled by Judy Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Intercessor,

Thank you so much for your continued faithfulness in prayer for the children of our local and global communities. Your prayers are powerful, loving gifts for the children of the world! If you have prayer requests or celebrations you would like to share with the Faces of Children community, please send those to me.

The Faces of Children prayer group will meet on Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, with lunch ($5) and fellowship to follow.


If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Celebrating the joy Jesus brings into the lives of us all,

Chris

No comments: