Wednesday, January 28, 2009

God Issues Today: "Straight Licks with Crooked Sticks"

Author, educator and commentator Dr. James Denison has been pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas since June, 1998. Prior to that, he was pastor at churches in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as Midland (at First Baptist!) and Mansfield, Texas.

I am in huge trouble this morning. When I tried to describe our new ministry yesterday, I neglected the very important fact that I will continue to write GodIssues Today. In fact, we are exploring ways to expand this devotional ministry by adding other types of essays as well. But I didn't say any of that, and many of you were kind enough to ask if this essay would continue.

Since I only write this, and have no idea how it gets distributed, my ministry assistant had to field all the questions. Minni Elkins is one of the most godly and gracious people I have ever known; I have never seen her mad, and would like to keep it that way. Thus this hasty explanation.

I for one am glad that our mistakes do not exempt us from God's desire to use us. In fact, it's hard to think of a person greatly used by God who did not fail significantly along the way. Moses comes to mind, immediately followed by David and Peter. You'd be hard pressed to think of three men who were more significant to history.

The past is always part of the present, though it doesn't have to determine our future. Today's New York Times reports that Timothy Geithner was sworn in as Secretary of the Treasury last night, after the Senate approved his nomination following days of contentious hearings. At the heart of the problem was Mr. Geithner's failure to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes for 2001-4. He has now paid $48,000 back in taxes and interest, and apologized for what he called an innocent mistake.

I'm guessing that you know the feeling. If the Times could take a look into your thoughts, words or deeds over the past week, would I have more examples for today's essay? But God is gracious to forgive all we confess, and to hit straight licks with crooked sticks, as they say. Our failures do not affect his love for his children.

Our new ministry will try to offer that word of grace to a world desperate for hope. The Center for Informed Faith will speak to current events and issues in Christian perspective, using every available means to share God's love and truth with our culture. Jeff Byrd, my best friend for 20 years and currently Associate Pastor at Park Cities, will direct the Center; Minni will work with us also. As Theologian in Residence for Texas Baptists and President of the Center, I will have new opportunities to engage the culture and equip the Church. Despite all my mistakes over 50 years, God is gracious.

What are the crooked sticks in your heart today? Why not give them to God's grace right now? Let's continue exploring God's will tomorrow.

No comments: