Friday, April 3, 2009

God Issues Today: "Staggering Down the Highway"

Author, educator and commentator Dr. James Denison has been pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas since June, 1998. Prior to that, he was pastor at churches in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as Midland (at First Baptist) and Mansfield, Texas.

Have you ever wished you'd just stayed in bed? Yesterday started that way for me. Stopping for gas on my way to work, I made the fateful decision to wash my car as well. The carwash stopped dead in the middle of its cycle, blanketing my car with soap. I shoved through the suspended brushes and escaped, then sought the assistance of the gas station attendant. Alas, this was her first day on the job and she had no idea what to do. She finally suggested that I run through the wash again, but it would no longer admit me.

Covered with suds, I then drove several miles to the next closest carwash, soliciting rather strange looks from my fellow drivers along the way. I paid for a second wash, and pulled into the machine. This time my car was soaped and rinsed, but the dryer wouldn't work. I guess you have to go to a third carwash for that. I finally gave up and drove away, dripping all the way to my office.

After two hours of attempted work, it was time to head for the airport for my flight to Abilene and a speaking engagement last night. In keeping with the day, I arrived to discover that my flight was delayed due to the gale force winds which buffeted Texas yesterday, with no guarantee that it would leave in time for me to get where I needed to be. So I exited the airport and made the three-hour drive to Abilene, dodging windblown 18-wheelers as they staggered down the highway like drunken sailors. The drive was so turbulent, I kept waiting for an oxygen mask to fall from the roof of my car.

Sometimes you can judge the spiritual significance of an experience by the difficulties you face in getting to it. Last night was such an event. I spoke at Hardin-Simmons University, an outstanding and historic Baptist school in Abilene. My subject was the Fifth Great Awakening, the movement of the Holy Spirit which is occurring in nations around the world. More people are coming to Christ every day than at any time in Christian history. God is doing a remarkable thing in these days, I told the audience.

Two students found me after the program was done. They told me that God had called them to help begin a spiritual movement on their campus, and that it had begun to spread to other schools. The previous four Great Awakenings began just like this—a group of believers who start praying fervently for the Spirit to transform their school or church or city. Their conversation made the trip and travails of the day worth it and more.

What would you change about your life this morning? God redeems all he allows. Ask him to use your difficulties to make you more reliant on his grace and power, more sensitive to his voice, more surrendered to the global movement of his Spirit. That's a prayer he is delighted to answer. I'll join you in it, right now.

No comments: