Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).


A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

He prayed more fervently, and he was in such agony of spirit that his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. Luke 22:44

“Have you ever noticed how much difficulties play a part in our life? They call forth our power as nothing else can. They strengthen character."

"All nature has been so arranged by God that nothing is found without work and effort. Education is developing and disciplining the mind by new difficulties which the student must overcome. The moment a lesson has become easy, the student is advanced to one that is more difficult. It is in confronting and mastering difficulties that our highest accomplishments are found."

"It is the same in our relationship with God. Imagine what the result would be if the child of God had only to kneel down, ask, get, and go away. Loss to the spiritual life would result. Through difficulties we discover how little we have of God's Holy Spirit. There we learn our own weakness and yield to the Holy Spirit to pray in us. There we take our place in Christ Jesus and abide in him as our only plea with God. There our own will and strength are crucified. There we rise in Christ to newness of life. Praise God for the need and the difficulty of persistent prayer as one of God's choice means of grace."

"Think what Jesus owed to the difficulties in his path. He persevered in prayer in Gethsemane and the prince of this world with all his temptation was overcome."

"Jesus, in persevering prayer may I walk with you and learn of crucifixion. May I share in the fellowship of your cross. Amen."
From The Best of Andrew Murray on Prayer, compiled by Edward A. Elliott


Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

Even though this piece might have been more appropriate for Holy Week, I've found its message timeless and hope it will speak to you as well.

I have often fought the impulse to make the path easy for our children by fulfilling whatever need they've had at various times in their lives. My husband is wonderful about reminding me that it isn't healthy to give our children everything they want and think they need. In fact, I've noticed that doing so can be a form of abuse. If our children don't have to work for something they want. if they don't have to struggle through a difficult experience. if Mom or Dad always comes to the rescue. we deny them the opportunity for growth and even the opportunity to meet Jesus face-to-face in times of hardship and suffering.

Knowing that I'm being given an opportunity for growth through persistent prayer gives me hope when facing the difficult situations in life (of which there seem to be no limit). God is good to remind me that it isn't healthy to give me everything I think I need or want. I am shaped and formed through prayer, through my conversations with God about the difficulties in life. I'm learning that in my weakness, God's Holy Spirit is able to intervene and pray for me. Have you experienced this as well?

I hope you'll be able to join us in persistent prayer for the children of our world on Wednesday, April 14, 2010, at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s Room at First Presbyterian Church, Midland. Please join us for this time of prayer and afterwards for lunch ($5) and fellowship.

If you have prayer requests about children, those who care for them, have authority over them, or harm them, please send them to me at claufer@facesofchildren.net or give me a call.

Thank you for persisting in prayer for children at risk!


Blessings,
Chris

No comments: