Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Invitation to Prayer from Faces of Children ... TOMORROW

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Invitation to Prayer, TOMORROW

Hi Friends,

I look forward to our prayer time together this Wednesday at 11:30, in the gym conference room at First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, followed by lunch together.

Also, Faces of Children is now on Facebook ! I invite you to like our page so that you can see regular stories, prayer needs, and updates from partner ministries.

All the best,

Carrie



Dear Intercessors,

Today I watched my little 5-year-old daughter stand on a stage in our church sanctuary. Long, blonde pig-tails poking out from beneath her graduation cap, she stood with the rest of her pre-Kindergarten class and proudly participated in a recognition ceremony and program. The music teacher started playing the first few familiar chords of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, and the children's sweet voices rose in unison:

Special, special, special me
How I wonder what I'll be
In this world, I can be
Anything I want to be
Special, special, special me
How I wonder what I'll be

As a mom, I sat there with my eyes glued to my sweet girl. How have 5 years gone so quickly? I remember the moment the doctor announced "It's a girl!" and laid her on my chest for the first time. That feels like yesterday. And I thought for a moment about how everyone tells me that it will feel like tomorrow when I'm watching her walk down the aisle for her high school graduation. Like any mama, I want to slow the years down. But at the same time, I'm so grateful to be at this place and in this moment.

Because as a citizen of the Kingdom of God, I cannot think only of my child. I can't help but think about all the other 5-year-olds around the world whose lives look so different.

I think about sweet little girls who are in hospital wards; their blonde pig-tails a distant memory. I think about their little arms poked with IVs pumping scary-sounding chemicals into their tiny little bodies; the chemicals far less scary than the tumors they fight.

I think about a little 5-year-old boy named Muhammad who lives with his mom in a camp for the Rohingya in Burma. His mom sold their ration card to pay off the human traffickers holding her husband, but the traffickers still didn't release her husband and he still died. Now little Muhammed is slowly starving.

I think about 5-year-old Syrian refugees who have only known a lifetime of conflict. I think about the fact that they want to be art teachers and pilots and queens and mamas, just like my little girl. I wonder, has anyone taught them to sing a little song about how they can be anything they want to be? Or does that feel too implausible to the frantic grownups trying to patch together a safe life for their families out of the chaos.


As I think about all of this, I'm reminded of a line from another sweet children's song. He's got the whole world in His hands. Scripture tells us that He knows the number of hairs on our head and He has our names engraved on the palms of His hands. And I can picture Him looking down on this spinning planet of ours - a blur of green and blue and white - and somehow He still sees each and every one of us. He sees every 5-year-old. He sees the one standing on a stage graduating from preschool to the applause of her family and friends, and He sees the one sitting in a cold corner of an orphanage all alone. He sees the little boy jumping on a trampoline and staring at the clouds, and He sees the one stacking bricks in a brick kiln for hour after hour.

He sees and He knows, and He's got the whole world in His hands.

Holy Spirit, help us to pray when we just don't have the words. We trust you and we know that you are good and that you love each of your children. God, It's hard to understand why you allow some to suffer so much, while others have every opportunity imaginable. But in spite of what we see, we trust that you are working to bring restoration and hope to this hurting and broken world. Father, as we are your children, please empower us to love and serve your littlest children. We know they are your treasures, and you are especially fond of each of them. Give us eyes to see what hurts them and the courage not to turn away. Jesus, give us hearts that are broken for what breaks yours. May we carry these children in our hearts, lifting them up to you.

Sincerely,

Carrie

Carrie J. McKean
Faces of Children Director
First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas
(432) 684-7821 x153



If you have prayer requests about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to info@facesofchildren.net

No comments: