Wednesday, November 15, 2017

WAW Wednesday ... "Bittersweet news to share"


"The Word at Work is a ministry that mobilizes churches and individuals to answer God's call to minister to those in need," writes Rev. Tim Tam, Director of the Amarillo, Texas-based ministry. "Through our relationships, God reveals needs and opportunities for service. As we come along side the poor, new friendships develop and doors for ministry open. As we serve, God provides the resources to supply for the needs he reveals."


WAW Wednesday: "Bittersweet news to share"

At The Word at Work we find ourselves in a new season ...

I'm happy and sad to say that Tim Hagen will no longer be employed by The Word at Work. God's plan for him is taking him in a new direction. We've been discussing it in secret for some time now, so it is no surprise to me, but the time is now here.

When I came to Amarillo in 1991 to interview for a job, I met Tim the very first day. And when I moved my family to Amarillo, the first meal we had was with the Hagen Family when Tim was only 13 years old.

The very first trip I took to Belize in 1996, Tim participated as a high school student. After he graduated from college I performed his wedding.

Tim has been on staff with TWAW for 10 of our 15 years and has played a major role in the development of our ministry. This is the bitter sweet part. I imagined we would always be working together. But I do know that God loves him even more than I do and I trust His plan for Tim and his family.

Here are Tim's words to you all:


Friends,

After 10 great years at The Word at Work, God is leading me and my family in a new direction. This decision is a mutual realization come to by Tim Tam and myself and has resulted in both sadness and excitement. Sadness because of what must come to an end, and excitement for what lies ahead.

As of November 15th, I will no longer be employed by TWAW. I have truly loved working for TWAW because it has allowed me to provide direct help for people in need. I have enjoyed getting to travel to Belize and meet so many great people. I have met people who have inspired me and demonstrated for me what it means to live the Christian life. And I have experienced God’s love and mercy through these friends' compassion and care for me. I have also loved the companionship of TWAW’s staff, our closeness, and the fun we have as we serve together.


I expect to continue traveling to Belize (I’m planning to go in April); and, I also expect to continue supporting TWAW and being involved in the ministry. But, the income needed to support our family will need to come from other places. I will move from being a staff member to being one of the hundreds of enthusiastic supporters of TWAW (like you!) who have been touched by Belize and our vision for ministry.

I am excited about my future, and what God is doing in my life and the life of my family. I will be returning to work as a carpenter with an eye towards developing a furniture business. Before my time at TWAW I attended the College of the Redwoods Fine Furniture School (now the Krenov School of Fine Woodworking), and I have continued to build small pieces during these past 10 years. Below are examples of pieces I have built.



I would really appreciate your prayers as I risk starting a new business, and try to follow God’s leading.

I am also excited about the future of the TWAW, and I would remind myself, and us all, that “...all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.” (Rom. 8:28) Let’s wait expectantly to see what God has in store for us.

My new email address will be timhagen@gmail.com. Please keep in touch (especially if you or someone you know needs some carpentry work), and keep supporting TWAW.

Many Thanks!

Tim Hagen
#wearethewordatwork



WAW Photo

Each year we do our best to share the Gift of Christmas with our partners in Belize -- retelling the story of old is a privilege -- and just one of the ways we share joy with the kids from King's Children's Home. Please pray about sharing that joy through your financial gifts to our Christmas Project.

WAW Photo


Perhaps you'd make a gift in honor of a loved one to The Word at Work's Christmas Project as a creative and meaningful alternative. We'll send a lovely card to whomever you'd like announcing your gift. Thank you for helping us spread Christmas Joy in Belize!

Please join us in making Christmas 2017 bright, beautiful, and joyful. Thank you SO much!



Kenny & Matt's Epic Road Trip Continues ....

WAW Photo
So many friends have hosted Kenny and Matt (and Tim) throughout the month of October -- thank you! They've made new friends and there's a lot of excitement about possible vision trips in 2018! Kenny and Matt will make their way back to Amarillo later this week -- with a couple of engagements in Midland & Lubbock & Amarillo yet to come before Kenny heads back to Belize. Please keep them in your prayers!



WAW Photo

We're having too much fun going through these old pix -- can you believe this is from 2002? Who do you recognize here? Please share your pix with us on ou Facebook page: @TWAWMinistry

Blessings,
Mollie
#wearethewordatwork




EDITOR'S NOTE: Speaking from my own first-hand experience - working side-by-side with Tim, Kenny and our brothers and sisters in Belize - won't you give thoughtful, prayerful consideration to supporting the efforts of Tim, the Word At Work staff and their partners? Please please fill out this Commitment Card and return it to their office!

Also, remember that you can follow The Word At Work on their Facebook page!


No comments: