Thursday, March 9, 2023

C.S. Lewis Daily - Today's Reading

Presented by Bible Gateway
Today's Reading

Letter to Arthur Greeves: from Great Bookham, Surrey

7 March 1916

I have had a great literary experience this week…the book, to get to the point, is George Macdonald’s ‘Faerie Romance’, Phantastes, which I picked up by hazard…Have you read it?...At any rate, whatever the book you are reading now, you simply MUST get this at once…Of course it is hopeless for me to try and describe it, but when you have followed the hero Anodos along the little stream of the faery wood, have heard about the terrible ash tree…and heard the episode of Cosmo, I know you will quite agree with me. You must not be disappointed at the first chapter, which is rather conventional faery tale style, and after it you won’t be able to stop until you finish. There are one or two poems in the tale…which, with one or two exception are shockingly bad, so don’t TRY to appreciate them…

I quite agree with what you say about buying books, and I love the planning and scheming beforehand, and if they come by post, finding the neat little parcel waiting for you on the hall table and rushing upstairs so to pen it in the privacy of your own room …

From The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis

No comments: