Monday, February 22, 2010

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children
"Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up quickly." Isaiah 58:8

"In the light of God's love and forgiveness, you are encouraged to discover the part of you that you keep hidden to yourself. The more you discover God's light, the more you discover in yourself the need for that light. It's like the revelation of, 'I love you so much I want to touch you in all the places where you are lost so that you will discover not just your lostness but also in how many places I want to find you.'"

"This exercise is prayer: to sit in the presence of God and to say, 'I know you are a loving parent but I just don't believe it. I often think that you are out to get me, but today I'm going to stay here in your loving presence, and I'm going to present myself to you.' Heart speaks to heart."

"This is not to say, 'Well, you'd better start thinking about how awfully dissipated you are and how awfully resentful you are.' But it is to say, 'When you're in touch with your dissipation and your resentment, you don't have to run away because it is precisely in those places that God waits to touch you more deeply and to heal you.'"

"Forgiving God, help me to trust that you will lead me to healing where I most need it."

From Fear to Love: Lenten Reflections on the Parable of the Prodigal Son, by Henri J.M. Nouwen


Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

We have entered the season of Lent once again. And what better time than now to reflect on our brokenness and God's healing touch?

I hope you'll be able to join us on Wednesday, February 24, 2010, at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s Room at First Presbyterian Church, Midland, to pray for children at risk. Please join us for this time of prayer and afterwards for lunch ($5) and fellowship.

Thank you once again for your faithfulness in prayer for the children of our world who need it so desperately! If you have prayer requests about children or those who care for them, please send them to me at claufer@facesofchildren.net or give me a call.


Grace and peace,
Chris

No comments: