Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

"A Promise for Lent"

"I have slowly become aware of what my Lenten practice might be. It might be the development of some type of 'holy indifference' toward the many small rejections I am subject to, and a growing attachment to God and God's passion."

"I am constantly surprised at how hard it is for me to deal with the little rejections people inflict on each other day by day ... this atmosphere often leaves me with a feeling of being rejected and left alone. When I swallow these rejections, I get quickly depressed and lonely; then I am in danger of becoming resentful ..."

"But maybe all of this is the other side of a deep mystery, the mystery that we have no lasting dwelling place on this earth and that only God loves us the way we desire to be loved. Maybe all these small rejections are reminders that I am a traveler on the way to a sacred place where God holds me in the palm of God's hand."
"Gracias! A Latin American Journal" by Henri J.M. Nouwen

"Lord, our Savior, let me heed the example of total giving that you demonstrated when you died on the cross for my sins. I pray that my pale imitation of your sacrifice during this Lent may be acceptable in your sight."
"Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen" compiled by Judy Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

The pear trees are blooming again in the courtyard outside my office. I look up through their branches and can see the tiny white petals opening more and more each day. It is spring in West Texas and, in just a few days, we will celebrate Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten season. I wonder where the months have gone ... wasn't it just Christmastime?

Not only is it time to watch the pear trees blossom and bud, it's time for me to think about what Lenten practice I might take on during the next 40 days. I really like Henri Nouwen's idea of "holy indifference" to the small rejections that cloud my heart and a "growing attachment" to God and God's passion.

I've also considered taking on another practice this Lenten season - being obedient to the quiet promptings of the Holy Spirit. Quite often I'll sense a need to talk to a specific person. It's a persistent sensation ... for example, a specific person's name will come into my mind repeatedly throughout the day. If I follow through with the prompting, I usually find out that there is something about which this person needs prayer or that he or she is in a difficult situation. And the times that I don't follow through ... it's that very uncomfortable feeling of disappointing a beloved parent.

I hope you'll join us on Ash Wednesday, March 9, 2011 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s Room at
First Presbyterian Church, Midland, as we gather to pray for the children of our local and global communities. Please join us for prayer, and then fellowship and lunch ($5) afterwards.

If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children at risk, those who care for them, have authority over them, or, yes, even those who harm them, please send them to me at at
claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call. Thank you for your prayers for the children of our community and world.

On the journey with you this Lenten season,

Chris

No comments: