Friday, October 31, 2014

In the News ... "Mercy Trips show the love"

Courtesy Photo
• Fundraiser helps nonprofit send doctors, medical care to villages in Uganda

By Lyndsay Weaver, Reporters
Odessa American


ODESSA, TEXAS - When Christine Reiswig returned to Uganda for the second time on a Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach, the people there greeted her with the phrase, “oh, you came back,” Reiswig said.

“When I made the third trip, they said, ‘oh, you’ve come home,’ ” she continued. “And that’s the way it is for me. I feel like I’ve come home. I have family there now. Several of the young adults, call me ‘mum.’ ”

The faith-based nonprofit organization in Odessa partners with health care workers and sends groups of people from the Permian Basin to Uganda twice a year to help with their medical needs. It was created in 2006 (to improve the relationship with the Lodoi Foundation in Uganda) and with Reiswig and Dr. Craig Daniel at the helm, they’re back again trying to raise money to pay for the medical supplies for 2015’s trips ...

 • read the rest of this OA report

No comments: