Monday, November 6, 2023

C.S. Lewis Daily - Today's Reading

Presented by Bible Gateway
Today's Reading

Letter to his father: from the Oxford Union Society, Postmark: 30 November 1921

I am afraid that my weakness in yielding to the Colonel’s request for a copy of ‘Optimism’ had reduced the poor man to permanent silence. I must try to get some sort of letter off to him before Christmas…

A dread portent has arisen above our horizon here – an immoratalist, nihilist, determinist, fatalist. What are you to do with a man who denies absolutely everything? The joke is that he’s an army officer on a course. He talks you blind and deaf. The more I see of him the clearer does my mental picture become of his brother officers en masse imploring him to take advantage of a two years course at Oxford – or Cathay or the Moon…

From Letters of C.S. Lewis

No comments: