Tuesday, February 24, 2009

God Issues Today: "Playing the Joker"

Author, educator and commentator Dr. James Denison has been pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas since June, 1998. Prior to that, he was pastor at churches in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as Midland (at First Baptist) and Mansfield, Texas.

In my next life I'll be a movie critic. Getting paid for going to motion pictures is my idea of a dream job. For as long as I can remember, I've been amazed by movies. I go to watch the action scenes—Janet goes for the plot and something called "character development." She cringes at the explosions I cheer. If we were Siskel and Ebert, we'd usually be one thumb up and one thumb down.

My affection for movies may explain why I'm the only Baptist preacher I know who stayed up last night to the end of the Academy Awards. While all my colleagues were watching the Sunday night sports shows, I was watching host Hugh Jackman sing (he's better than I expected, which isn't saying much). As predicted, "Slumdog Millionaire" won eight Oscars, including best picture. Kate Winslet and Sean Penn won best actress and best actor—no surprises there. I'm not sure how many critics thought Penelope Cruz would win best supporting actress, though she probably gets the award for best acceptance line: "Has anyone ever fainted here?"

But the award everyone will remember is Heath Ledger's posthumous Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. All of us who saw his Joker in "The Dark Knight" agree that he retired the "most creepy" trophy. Mr. Ledger's tragic death on January 22, 2008 from an accidental prescription drug overdose brought a level of mortality and sobriety to last night's event. His parents and sister accepted on his behalf, and will keep his Oscar for his three-year-old daughter until she turns 18.

In witnessing such a poignant moment, the thought occurred to me that we're all Heath Ledger. Each of us who make Jesus our Lord chooses to be supporting actors to his leading role. When we play our part as best we can, we add our unique contribution to the plot and purpose of the movie. The Joker couldn't be Batman, but Batman needed the Joker. The work we do in front of life's camera will live long after we have left the set. It is impossible to measure the eternal significance of present obedience.

John the Baptizer got his part just right, saying of Jesus: "He must become greater; I must become less" (John 3:30). Paul played his role equally well when he resolved, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20). If I will study the script prepared by my Screenwriter and listen for the lead of my Director, seeking to play my role to the glory of the One about whom the play was written, this will be a good day. Will you join me?

No comments: