Friday, February 13, 2009

Partners Blogcast: "The Reality on the Ground in an Active War Zone"

Steve and Oddny Gumaer started Partners Relief & Development in response to the needs of refugees and displaced people from Burma. This blog is meant to be a more personal stream of conversation than newsletters allow for. The opinions expressed here may not be those of Partners Relief & Development.

The Reality on the Ground in an Active War Zone

By a Partners Relief Team Leader - "The village I will sleep in tonight has been attacked many times by the Burma Army, twice in recent times. In April 2006, regime soldiers came and displaced hundreds of villagers, stole their possessions, and burned down many homes. There are three bullet holes in the bamboo walls of the house next to where I sleep."

"Today I visited a family in a nearby village. When a warning came from the defense army (KNU) that Burma Army forces were approaching, the father, Swe Htoo Ley (not his real name), quickly gathered his two children, his pregnant wife, and his bed ridden mother, and rushed to hide in a bamboo thicket. From this sheltered hide site less than a mile away they watched the smoke from their burning home-along with nine of their neighbors homes-billow into the sky. This was the second time the Burma Army burned down their home and the third time they came and stole all their possessions."

"Swe Htoo Ley's brother-in-law was killed in the attack, leaving behind his toddler, a one-week-old infant, and a destitute widow still recovering from child birth."

"The victims of the war in Burma are largely humble rice farmers who live earthy and wholesome lives while they raise their families and work the land their ancestors worked before their time. You may ask like I did, "Why does this happen to rice farmers living in the mountains of a remote region?" The short answer is simple: they were born in Karen State, where the Burma Army wants total control of all natural resources and to dominate or destroy the ethnic population who are obstacles to this end."

"I left an offering of money behind with the family and prayed for them. They asked me to please visit them again one day and with a bright grin they gave me their finest chicken as a gift."

"While I walked away, I felt sad that such good hearted and peace loving people are living within mortar range of a Burma Army camp, one of the most brutal regimes on earth. I reminded myself that these people matter and are valuable to God, like my own family, and that I bear a moral responsibility towards them as a son of God who subscribes to the greatest commandment. What does it mean to love the displaced people of Burma as I love myself? What does it mean to do for them what I would want them to do for me?"

"These are my reflections as I switch off the flashlight on another day. This is why I am here with the people of Burma today."

"Your prayerful support enables Partners to help tens of thousands of people like Swe Htoo Ley. Please lift my team and I up to God as we visit and minister to displaced populations. Thank you for being here with me. Thank you for doing your part to live the golden rule.”

Your Brother,
A Partners Relief Team Leader

No comments: