Monday, May 11, 2009

Preparing for Mission: Read the Bible

Among the first steps recommended by Jack Voelkel in his article, Preparation For Mission - Practical Steps, is, "be faithful in your daily time of Bible reading."

During the summer, First Presbyterian Church of Midland will offer "
The Bible in 90 Days," a weekly Sunday school course with a non-denominational curriculum structured around a simple, straightforward mission for its participants: “To read, ATTENTIVELY, every word of the Bible in 90 days.” When taking the course, each participant reads twelve pages-a-day.

"In 1999, I read the Bible for the first time. I was 43 years old, and happily agnostic when I began reading. Halfway through the Bible, I became a believer. It changed my life," writes Ted Cooper, Jr., Founder of Bible in 90 Days. "In 2001, I created a course to help other people read the Bible. The curriculum began as a Wednesday night class at my local church. Response to the course was so great -- as was the number of successful finishers -- that we offered it again. Same response, same high rate of success."

"In 2002, I left my career and founded the Bible in 90 Days ministry."

The class will begin May 31, and meet Sunday mornings at 9:30, in the Lynn Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian Church, located at the corner of Texas and A streets, on the west edge of downtown Midland. You can read a Bible especially prepared for this curriculum, or your own. There are also books available that will support and enhance your readings, and discussions of what you've read.

For more information, contact Rev. Shannon Weisenfels, Associate Pastor at First Prez-Midland, (432) 684-7821.

No comments: