Monday, April 18, 2011

Invitation to Prayer


Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Pray for Dependency on God

"Prayer requires that we stand in God's presence with open hands, naked and vulnerable, proclaiming to ourselves and to others that without God we can do nothing. This is difficult in a climate where the predominant counsel is, 'Do your best and God will do the rest.' When life is divided into 'our best' and 'God's rest,' we have turned prayer into a last resort to be used only when all our own resources are depleted. Then even God has become the victim of our impatience. Discipleship does not mean to use God when we can no longer function ourselves. On the contrary, it means to recognize that we can do nothing at all, but that God can do everything through us."

"Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life" by Henri J.M. Nouwen, Donald P. MacNeill, and Douglas A. Morrison

"Three-personed God, it truly frightens me to recognize that I am totally dependent on you. I know that my life is not my own, though I arrogantly act as if I am in control. On the contrary, it is you who determines my destiny. Ease my worries over my dependency on you, soften my impatience with your plans for me, and help me to acknowledge that you can do all things through me. Amen."

"Lent and Easter Wisdom" from Henri J.M. Nouwen" compiled by Judy Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

This coming Wednesday, April 20, 2011 at 11:30 a.m. we will meet back in the Bride's room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland. Please stay afterwards for lunch ($5) and a time of fellowship.

If you have requests about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

On the journey with you this Lenten season,

Chris

No comments: