Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent Reflections: December 1

1 Corinthians 1: 3-9 BibleGateway.com

Waiting does not come easily to us. Waiting is annoying, inefficient, and frustrating, especially when we have grown accustomed to convenience, immediacy, and gratification. While reading this passage, I found myself eagerly consuming all that God has done for me - how I have been enriched and strengthened in Christ - and I cannot wait for the strengthening that God will do for me in the future. I am ravenous for more! But, tucked quietly between the past-tense testimony of what God has done, and the future-tensepromises of what God will do for us, the apostle Paul describes our Christian condition: we are waiting for the revealing of our Lord.

I cannot escape the possibilities for this word, "wait." It is the hinge in the passage. Before wait, we are told what we have been given. After wait, we glimpse the future, and we see what will be. To wait is to dwell in the liminal space of God's time: between what God has done and what God will do. To be sure waiting is not doing nothing: waiting is allowing oneself to be open to the possibility of God's abundance, revealed in Jesus Christ. This is Advent. We are called to wait.

I think about the wisdom of waiting. I think of not speaking too soon, of not jumping to conclusions, and of first seeking to understand. I ponder the virtue of patience. Wait with me. Wait with me for the revealing of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Gracious God, we give thanks to you for the abundant blessings in our lives. Amid the turbulence of our lives, we know that you have blessed us to be a blessing. With confidence in your faithfulness, we wait in joyful hope for the revelation of your son, Jesus Christ. Amen.
Amen


Paul D. Dubois, Senior Student
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.
CLICK HERE to learn how you can support the mission of Austin Seminary

No comments: