Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Advent Reflections: December 16

Philippians 4:4-9 BibleGateway.com

Mary and Elizabeth meet with their hopeful eyes and swollen bellies, and their babies leap. Mary, overwhelmed by God knocking about inside of her, echoes Hannah and the prophets as she sings out the soaring Magnificat. That must have been some kind of kick.

I remember having those wonderful pains seven years ago. I’m in my third trimester, standing in the sweet little sanctuary in Louisiana, admiring its moss green aisle and simple stained glass. The sanctuary is not the only thing that’s green. I’m a new pastor, and I’m not entirely comfortable with my role at the table, before the bread and the wine.

Lifting the loaf in the air, I tear it in half and repeat the words of Jesus. As I proclaim, “This is my body,” my belly begins shifting with smooth oceanic movements. Even under that giant black robe, I notice my stomach transforming into alien shapes. I smile and think: Oh no. Not now. Please go back to sleep.

As I raise the cup, it’s no longer a gentle rolling. I feel jabs, right under my rib cage. I gasp as she plays soccer with my internal organs. My eyes widen, and I almost spill the wine as she kicks me … hard. Barely containing my laughter, I continue. Breathing deeply, I am stretched and transformed by this great and wonderful pain. With each jolt, a sense of joy overwhelms me. And for the first time, I feel at home–in my bloated, pregnant body and at that table, as a pastor.

Holy God, our Creator, teach us to delight in every circumstance and to rejoice in who you have made us to be. Holy Spirit, our Sustainer, stretch us and form us this Advent season. Jesus Christ, our Liberator, give us hope as we wait for you in expectant anticipation. Amen

Carol Howard Merritt, Pastor, Western Presbyterian Church, Washington, D.C.
Alumnus

Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary


For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.
CLICK HERE to learn how you can support the mission of Austin Seminary

No comments: