Thursday, December 10, 2009

Advent Reflections: December 10

Psalm 62 BibleGateway.com

“He alone is my rock and my salvation...”

I was in my teens the first time I heard of it. I had been practicing the classical Japanese martial arts since I was five and had been gradually introduced to aspects of Japanese culture: Kendo (fencing), Judo, Karate, Jujutsu, Bonsai. But I had never heard of Suiseki. When I did, I didn’t quite get it. Rocks? Stones? What’s the point?

Stones and rocks have been admired and collected by humans since time immemorial. Cultures around the globe have developed unique names, disciplines, and guidelines for their particular art form. In Japan we have “Suiseki,” in China “Scholar’s Rocks,” in Korea “Suseok” or “Gongshi.” The Japanese Suiseki is the delicate and traditional art form that recognizes the complexity of this art—it is a process, a feeling, a relationship between the object and the viewer.

Note that the psalmist here does not say, “God is a rock” but rather “He alone is my Rock … My God and my salvation.” This, too, represents a process, a feeling, but more importantly, a relationship between the psalmist and his God.

The relationship that concerns us is between the Jesus who came and the Christ who is to come; the Christ whom we await to be born in us (as he was born in history) and in our relationship with others. How do we see our connection with Jesus the Rock who saves us this Advent? Is it a process, a feeling … or is it a relationship?

Prayer: Lord we welcome you as the Word of God, the Rock of Ages; help us to welcome you in spirit and in truth, in a loving and faith-filled relationship with you, the Living Christ our Rock, who saves us. Let us never be shaken from that faith which is your gift to us.
Amen


Rev. Gerald J. Mendoza, OP,
DMin candidate from Austin, Texas
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary

CLICK HERE to listen to each day's devotional.

______________________________
For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.
CLICK HERE to learn how you can support the mission of Austin Seminary

No comments: