Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Reflections: December 2

Psalm 50 BibleGateway.com

The sun comes up over the mountain, the beams shine through the tops of the trees, and I feel a rush of expectation. Here they come! The elk are passing through this high desert valley as they do every morning, headed for the lake. They saunter slowly, pausing only to nibble at something on the ground. They lift their heads and look straight at me. Do they know I am watching? How beautiful they are, how graceful, even those with heavy racks! Then, they continue, secure in the knowledge that this place is theirs, this place is their home. It is at times like this that I almost ache with the absolute knowledge of God, our creator, and God’s claim upon us.

When I read the Scripture for today, I think of the elk. You and I belong to God just like the elk. We are part of God’s creation. Psalm 50 asks us to make a decision. It is a call. Do we or do we not serve God? Do we or do we not acknowledge God’s sovereign claim upon us? We are called from self-centeredness to proper relationship with God. We are asked to live our lives consistently with the beliefs we profess. Do we pretend and just go through the right motions, saying the right words, or do we live according to the will of God?

In this time of Advent when we examine ourselves, I remember the elk and the absolute knowledge that we, the elk, you and I, belong to God. May we offer thanksgiving and praise for our lives and live in gratitude to God.

Gracious God, as this advent begins, may I be reminded that we are all your people. I eagerly await the glow in in my life, as I prepare for the giving of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen


Helen Almanza, PhD (MDiv’04)
Associate Pastor, Tarrytown United
Methodist Church, Austin, Texas

CLICK HERE to listen to each day's devotional.

______________________________
For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.
CLICK HERE to learn how you can support the mission of Austin Seminary

No comments: