Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Prayer of Confesssion

We come to you, O Christ, confessing to you the fears that twist our lives and keep us from the inner calm and peace that come from you:
    The fear of ourselves, that we cannot do what is expected of us;
    The fear of being found out for our littleness and pride in ourselves;
    The fear of being left out when joy and richness come to others;
    The fear of not being ready when opportunities present themselves for service;
    The fear of death, that when it comes our time to die, we shall not have done the things we would have done,
    because we were afraid to venture out.
    We find ourselves shrinking back before the unknown, wanting assurance where we must have faith;
We find ourselves hesitating to follow you, O Christ, afraid the cost may be too great, and life may pass us by.
Give us the strength and peace that only you can give. Amen.


A Book of Reformed Prayers
by Howard L. Rice & Lamar Williamson, Jr.

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

Although these words were written almost 60 years ago, they resonate with me now, especially the part about hesitating to follow Jesus because I’m fearful the cost will be too great. It’s true confession time, so here goes:

I’m happy to follow Christ
… as long as it’s convenient to do so.
… as long as it doesn’t make me uncomfortable.
… as long as I can control what happens.
… and only if that happens during work hours and I don’t have to give up a weekend.
… and only if I don’t have to make a commitment to anyone.
I’m happy to follow Christ, as long as it doesn’t cost me too much.

This baring of the soul is quite uncomfortable for me. I’m afraid you now know another fear that twists my life and keeps me from the inner calm that comes from Jesus Christ: The fear of being found out for my littleness and pride. And the purpose of this is what, you might wonder? I think confessing our weaknesses and sins before God and one another is one of the most healing parts of our life together as a community of faith, as members of the Church universal.

Another healing part of life in a faith community is prayer… praying with and for one another. You know this already or you wouldn’t be involved with Faces of Children and praying for children. So I ask you to join me in praying for each prayer partner/intercessor with this ministry, that we might experience the strength and peace that can only come through Jesus Christ. Would you pray with me that it might permeate our lives and wipe away our fears? Thank you

The Faces of Children prayer group will meet on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, with lunch ($5) and fellowship to follow.


If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Grace and peace,

Chris

No comments: