Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Prayer for Our Children

"Dear God,
There are no words for the depth of my love for
     this child.
I pray for her care and her protection.
I surrender her into your hands.
Please, dear God, send your angels to bless and
     surround her always.
May she be protected from the darkness of
     our times.
May she always see you at the center of her life.
May her heart grow strong,
To love you and serve you.
I surrender, dear, God, my parenthood to you.
Make me the parent you want me to be.
Show me how to love most patiently,
     to be there for her most fully,
To understand profoundly who she is and what she needs.
May this family be a blessing unto her
     now and forever.
May she learn here values and principles of love
     and righteousness.
May she learn from me kindness.
May she learn from me strength.
May she learn from me the lessons of power:
That she has it and
Must surrender it to you, to be used for your
     purposes throughout her life
For thus shall you be gladdened,
And thus shall she be free,
To live most fully and love most deeply.
That is my wish.
That is my prayer for her and for me forever.
Amen."


Illuminata, a Return to Prayer
by Marianne Williamson

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

I thought this prayer was beautifully written and one we can pray for the children in our lives, whether they are female or male, children or grandchildren, nieces or nephews, neighbors' children, or children we encounter in our daily routines.

In fact, I think this may be a most appropriate prayer for children who have no parents or family. Please pray this prayer with me for children who have been abandoned, orphaned, thrown away, or treated as though they were invisible. Pray with me they might know the love of a parent figure and a community as family. Pray with me they might know how beloved they are by our Divine Parent, our Savior, and our Comforter.

Would you also pray with me for parents who struggle to parent their children...for parents who have abandoned their children...for parents who have no support system...and for parents who do not know of God or God's abundant love, mercy, and grace?

The Faces of Children prayer group will meet on Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, with lunch ($5) and fellowship to follow.


If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Blessings,

Chris

No comments: