Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Invitation to Prayer from Faces of Children ... TODAY


Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Their mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, they seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).


Invitation to Prayer ... TODAY

Hi Friends,

If you're in Midland this week, we'll be meeting at 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, June 12 - TODAY - for prayer. We meet in the prayer closet at First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Please join us in lifting up the needs of vulnerable children in our community and around the world!

For the summer months would you prefer to move our meeting time back to 11:30? I haven't yet had any responses, so we won't change the meeting time this week.

I'm continuing to compile feedback from my email last week. Please send me your thoughts if you haven't yet had a chance to do so. I'll announce the final decision next week, but at this point, I'm leaning towards creating a monthly digest the first week of of each month that we can use for the entire month. The headlines may change, but so many of the underlying prayer needs remain constant.

Speaking of headlines, I ran across this blog post today and I thought it was incredibly helpful, giving concrete and scriptural ways to pray through the headlines:

Instead of reacting on emotion, join me in grabbing a Bible and the newspaper. Let's open God's Word and use His truth plumb-line when it comes to the world at large.

What are our weapons? How does our response change when we believe this to be true? {See 2 Corinthians 10:3-5}

How might we react differently when we agree with Jesus about our role? {See Matthew 5:14-16}

What role does slander play in the news? What is tempting about slander? (Especially difficult when it's presented as news, so pray for discernment.) What does Paul say to do? {See Ephesians 4:31-32} For whom should we pray? Why? {See Matthew 5:44-45; 1 Timothy 2:1-4} How can we know what to pray? {See Romans 8:26-27} What does our heart attitude need to be for effective prayer? {See Isaiah 66:2b}

Consider the following as we pray through the headlines.

1. Pray the truth about God . . . that He is sovereign and loving and able to answer our prayer about this topic. Speak that truth out loud in prayer. God already knows, but it helps us to declare that truth. Who does He say He is?
2. Do a heart check: what attitude do I have about this topic? Do I have anger or pride or some other response about this topic that will get in the way of my prayer? Do I have self-righteous or condemning thoughts? Ask God to forgive that attitude, and help us overcome it.
3. Thank the Holy Spirit for leading us as we pray. Listen for Him to lead us now. (It's okay to wait a bit as you listen for the Spirit to prompt you. Rest in the silence.)
4. Pray specifically for the people and the situation in the news story . . . for any change that might be needed, for salvation, for healing, for provision, for wisdom, for peace in this situation.

Now when my gut reactions scream frustration and hopelessness, I open His Word. I commit to prayer and not just another "share." I commit to bringing these news topics before the Lord, knowing that in the end, He is the ultimate authority.

As you read the headlines this week, please join me in using these scriptures and prompts to shape our prayers. Prayer -- especially prayer for vulnerable children -- can be a unifying force in these divisive times, because through the power of the Holy Spirit we do not have to agree with one another politically to agree with one another in prayer.

In addition to praying through the headlines, please continue to pray for our Kindness Campaign, the South Africa Mission Trip and the Ingrams who are on a medical mission trip to the Dominican Republic to provide eye surgeries and eye care with their team of 8, and youth from our church who will be going to summer camp this weekend.



I also wanted to take a moment in this email to ask for your input. As some of you know, I've accepted a new position with First Presbyterian Church to serve as Outreach Coordinator alongside our Outreach Pastor, Walter Thompson. In some ways, I've been unofficially trying to serve in some aspects of this role for the last few years. But in this official capacity, I've taken on some additional responsibilities here at the church. As a result, I need to reorder some of my time and priorities. My intention has been to continue meeting with the Faces prayer group and also to continue sending out prayer emails, and I can certainly still move in that direction. (The last couple of weeks have been an anomaly as I adjusted to the new role and also prepared for VBS. I'm sorry for the poor communication!)

But I also recognize that as seasons change for me, seasons may have changed for many intercessors. Not that you've stopped praying, but I do think Faces of Children served as a launching off point for many of you into deeper engagement with other ministries. To that end, I'm not sure what transformations Faces of Children should perhaps undergo... but since I'm already in a season of change, I felt like now might be the best time to ask.

If you have ideas of how you see this ministry best taking shape, I'd love to hear them. I'd also like to hear from you if you find God has been leading you in other directions and into other ministry opportunities. Do you find the weekly email to be a critical part of this ministry? Would you perhaps prefer a monthly digest or simply cease it altogether and simply meet together in person to pray?

For those intercessors outside of our church, how do you utilize these emails in your life? Would you feel a void if you didn't receive them?

I don't know what the future of Faces of Children holds, but I wanted us to start exploring and discerning what God might have in store for us. I have zero doubt His plans continue to include that we pray for vulnerable children. I can think of nothing more close to his heart.

Blessings,

Carrie

Carrie J. McKean
Faces of Children Director
First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas
(432) 684-7821 x153

No comments: