Friday, March 6, 2009

God Issues Today: "Missing My Moustache"

Author, educator and commentator Dr. James Denison has been pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas since June, 1998. Prior to that, he was pastor at churches in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as Midland (at First Baptist) and Mansfield, Texas.

As the saying goes, sometimes hair turns gray and sometimes it turns loose. According to today's New York Times and anyone who's watched a recent press conference, President Obama is experiencing the former.

Observers began noticing gray flecks in Mr. Obama's hair during the presidential campaign, a process which seems to have escalated in the 44 days he has been in office. Given that presidents typically age two years for every year in the White House, such a response to the stress of the position is not uncommon. Bill Clinton and George W. Bush demonstrated a similar transformation early in their administrations. Now Mr. Obama appears to be following suit.

The First Barber dismisses rumors that the president is dyeing his hair gray to appear more distinguished or dyeing it black to appear younger. "I can tell you that his hair is 100 percent natural," we're assured.

I understand the temptation. I was a youth minister during college, and wore the requisite mustache and hair parted down the middle. When I gained a wife I lost the mustache, never to return. Then I became a pastor at the age of 25, and church members told me I was younger than their grandchildren; a little gray hair might have lent a certain gravitas to my neophyte sermons. Now that I am 50, no one comments on my youth any more. Perhaps I should grow the mustache back. Or perhaps I should stay married instead.

There's a saying in counseling: "I am not who I think I am. I am not who you think I am. I am who I think you think I am." It's human nature to judge ourselves by the judgment of others. If they approve of our appearance or achievements, so should we. If they don't like what we did, neither should we.

There's some value to such assessment, of course. The old Spanish proverb advises, "If one person calls you a donkey, think nothing of it. If three do, buy a saddle." But the only omniscient opinion is that of your Father and Lord. John said of Jesus, "He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man" (John 2:25).

Are you struggling with obedience to God this morning? Is there something your Father wants you to do or stop doing? He accepts you absolutely and unconditionally as his child. He wants only your best. He sees past your hair color to your soul, and loves what he sees. God thinks you are worth the death of his Son. Why not trust his will today?

No comments: