Wednesday, March 4, 2009

God Issues Today: "True Confessions of a Baptist Preacher"

Author, educator and commentator Dr. James Denison has been pastor of Park Cities Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas since June, 1998. Prior to that, he was pastor at churches in Atlanta, Georgia, as well as Midland (at First Baptist) and Mansfield, Texas.

I'm thinking of writing a book called "The Preacher." It will expose the seamy underside of being a Baptist pastor, with all the intrigue of deacons' meetings and hospital visits. People have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of a baptism or worship planning meeting. It will be so scintillating that I'm sure it will sell two or three copies, if I can make everyone in my family buy it.

I'm following the lead of Rod Blagojevich. Today's New York Times brings us news that the former governor of Illinois has begun writing a book on his experiences in local and state politics. The working title, oddly enough, is "The Governor." Mr. Blagojevich, who has been looking for work since he was removed from office in January, intends to expose "the dark side of politics." His spokesman added, "There were some people in high places who didn't want the governor to write this book." I'm sure my family feels the same way about my book.

It could be worse-I could make a video of me writing this devotional. According to today's Times, the Supreme Court is now viewing YouTube videos when it reviews cases. Our nation's highest legal authority might consider a video of me typing on my laptop as legal evidence when someone sues me for malicious boredom. I'll watch my back.

When I became pastor of First Baptist Church in Midland, Texas, Janet and I fell in love with Nellivee Clark, the pastor's assistant for 45 years at that great church. Nellivee is one of the most gracious and godly people I've ever known, which is a good thing since she knew where all the bodies were buried, how deep, for how long, and why. When she finally had enough of me and retired two years later, we told her she should write a book on her experiences at the church, and that we would pay her not to publish it.

What if God wrote a book about you? He knows everything you don't want the rest of us to know-your last immoral thought or deceptive statement, your most humiliating moments and most terrible secrets. It's even worse-he knows the sins you don't yet know that you will commit today. And yet he stands ready to forgive all you confess (1 John 1:9) and to forget all he forgives: "I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more" (Hebrews 8:12).

What guilt or shame woke up with you this morning? Name it specifically, and give it with repentance and humility to your loving Father. Ask for his forgiveness and claim his grace. Do it now, and live forgiven and free today. This is the invitation of God.

No comments: