Tuesday, December 15, 2015

From Austin Seminary: "Advent Devotional" for December 15

"A gift from our community of faith to you. We at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary are devoted to preparing outstanding leaders for Christ’s church. One of the ways that we nurture leaders is by building a loving community of faith and extending God’s grace to others. In this season of anticipation, we extend God’s grace to you and invite you to explore this book of Advent devotions. Through this collection, please join us as we prepare to receive God’s greatest gift—the birth of Jesus Christ."

CLICK HERE for a complete schedule of this season's devotionals.
CLICK HERE to learn how you can support the mission of Austin Seminary


Advent Devotional for Tuesday, December 15

Philippians 4:4-7

I consider myself a woman of faith. However, it wasn’t until one day when I was sitting in church did I realize that my faith was a bit shaky. I figured out that I wasn’t truly trusting God. I discovered this when I got in the challenging position of praying then worrying, and again praying then worrying some more. On this particular day, I had some heavy burdens. During prayer time I realized that I would pray and pretend that I was giving my concerns over to the Lord, only to pick those concerns back up and carry them out the door with me and into my week. I was so worried and anxious about the potential outcome of my troubles that I got in God’s way after making my requests known. Have you ever done that? It’s as if I didn’t think God heard me!

Philippians 4:4-7 speaks to this very challenging position we can sometimes put ourselves in. Not only do we have the opportunity to rejoice in the Lord always, but we should find comfort in the fact that we can make our requests known to God and therefore we don’t have to be anxious and worried about our burdens. It is the opportunity for us to not just rejoice in the idea of God but truly embrace the reality and magnificence of God.

God, when we are anxious and worried, help us to remember you are at hand, ordering our steps and working the plan you have for our lives. Remind us to rejoice in your presence and the peace you extend to us. Amen.

Pam Owens
MDIV Student from Pflugerville, Texas



For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.



This post produced with Bible Gateway reference/link 


No comments: