Thursday, December 11, 2008

Advent Reflections: December 11

Luke 1: 46-55 BibleGateway.com

Hello. My name is Mary. I am not much older than a "tween" and am a teenage pregnant girl. And I want to tell you what great things the Lord has done for me. You may be thinking, "What! Being an unwed teenager is a good thing?" I wondered about that too. When I received the wonderful announcement that I would bear a childwho would be called the Son of the Most High, I'll have to admit that I was both astounded beyond belief and grateful at the same time. Me! Lowly and poor - at the bottom of the food chain - will be the mother of our new king, and will never be hungry again! How can this be? This must be all God's doing. This is how it feels to receive and experience the blessed mercy of God our Savior. This is why my spirit wells up within me with praises and rejoicing.

Do you know what this means for you, my friend? That my experience is also yours. You too have the privelege of bearing Jesus into the world. For this is our mutual calling, our mutual ministry. The Lord has done a great thing for me. God used me as amn instrument to bring our beloved Savior into the world and wants to do the same with you. This is good news. God has chosen you as an instrument to continue what was begin with me: So rejoice and sing with me! Praise God with me!

Dear Bearer of Life, like Mary, I am grateful that you have looked with favor on me, your servant. Use me, Lord, so that I too can praise you and say, "The Lord has done great things for me." Amen

Isabel S. Rivera-Velez, Seniopr Student
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary


For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.
CLICK HERE to learn how you can support the mission of Austin Seminary

No comments: