Monday, September 13, 2021

From @mmm_water ... 2021 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.


September 13, 2021

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WILL BE LIKE
Carol Nussbaumer
Volunteer, Colorado

"He will cover you with his feathers, And under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart, You will not fear the terror of the night.
Psalm 91:4-5

One year, our granddaughters’ Christmas gift from their aunt was a trip to Disney World. Addie, age 9, was jumping for joy. Izzie, age 6, broke into tears sobbing “I don’t want to go!” Her dad asked “Why don’t you want to go?” “Because I don’t know what it will be like.”

Maybe that is why I resisted God’s call to Malawi for so long. I didn’t know what it would be like. Where would I sleep? Could I eat the food? I don’t know the language – how will I communicate? Will I be safe? What about the culture differences? Can I afford it? I hate needles – what about all those vaccines? I don’t like to fly…. I can’t do it. I don’t know what it will be like.

Even after we accept the Call and make the long trip to Malawi, there are still moments when doubt kicks in because we don’t know what it will be like. Maybe there is a change in assignment and the new area and new people to work with make us wonder “I don’t know what it will be like. I’m comfortable here now.” That path seemingly going off into nowhere causes a bit of nerves. “I don’t know what it will be like.” After years of working in Tanzania, there is a sudden change of plans and the new assignment is along Lake Malawi. “But, I don’t know what it will be like.”

Every day has a new challenge and you don’t know what it will be like. What you do know is this: you are sheltered under the wings of God who is riding alongside you in the truck and with the psalmist you can say “My God, in whom I trust” (Psalm 91:2). It’s not a bad idea to have that on your tongue most of the day. Maybe alongside my frequent prayer in Malawi: “Lord, I need some help here.” You may be surprised at how often that prayer is answered, but be prepared: you don’t know what it will be like.

Application Question: How will you ask God for help today?

Prayer: Almighty God, you alone know what this day will be like for me. Thank you for giving me whatever I will need to manage the tasks ahead. Thank you for being always beside me wherever I go and for being ready to help whenever I ask. Amen.



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...

No comments: