Sunday, September 24, 2023

From @mmm_water ... 2023 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2023. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

September 24, 2023

#walkingforMMMwater
Reverend Suzanne Gorhau
Volunteer and MMM Board Member, Nebraska/Iowa

"What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

I’ve never had to get up in the middle of the night to walk miles for water for my family. As a young girl, I didn’t have to fetch water instead of going to school. I’ve never had to limit the water I use for washing, cooking, and drinking. But I know my sisters in Africa do that.

This summer I’m going to walk the ancient pilgrimage of the Camino de Santiago, 500 miles across Spain. I used to participate in CROP Walks. We’d walk several miles and raise money for those in need. I decided to make my walk on the Camino a fundraiser for Marion Medical Mission. I’m inviting people to give 10 cents or $1 for every mile I walk. But I’d like my walk to be more than a fundraiser. I want to walk in solidarity with all the women and girls who have to walk to get water.

Empathy helps us understand another person’s situation. But we need more than empathy. Solidarity puts empathy into action. With each step, I will walk in solidarity with my sisters who walk to get water. With each step, I will walk in solidarity with all who will contribute to wells this year, from the field officers and builders, to the villagers who gather sand and stone, to those who give money. With each step, I will thank God for the gift of water and the gift of all of you.

What if each step we take is a step of justice, a step of kindness, a step of walking with God and with our brothers and sisters? I pray that each step you take today, whether it’s walking to a well site, walking to a church to give a MMM presentation, or walking to get a cup of water, you will remember we’re all walking together.

Application Question: How is God calling you to express solidarity, “empathy in action,” with your brothers and sisters?

Prayer: Dear God, help us to walk with You and to walk with one another. Fill our hearts with empathy and help us put that empathy into action. Amen



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: