Sunday, September 10, 2023

From @mmm_water ... 2023 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

September 10, 2023

CHRIST IS CALLING
Reverend Ed Hoke
Volunteer, Illinois

"My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” John 10:27

We live in a noisy world. It is not just the sound of traffic mixed in with jackhammers, chainsaws and bulldozers changing the landscape. It’s not just the roaring surf or the sound of a windstorm. It not just the cacophony of a room of unruly kindergartners. We all have myriad voices competing for our attention. Sometimes these voices can be heard and sometimes not. We can hear the voices of our families wanting our attention, of our bosses wanting our devotion, of our customers wanting service. But there are other voices that sometimes, while not audible, are very loud. That voice of temptation that bids us to go where we know we do not need to go. The voice of pity that shouts that we need to pay attention to all the needs we see around us. The voice of guilt when we don’t heed all those needs. The voice of greed that draws us to think of only ourselves. The voice of the one calling in the wilderness, calling us to “follow me.”

Both of my children swam competitively when they were young. My wife and I would go to these swim meets and during each race the noise was deafening. Each swimmer had teammates yelling for them to go fast. Parents cheering their child on. Coaches each giving instructions and encouragement. You literally could not hear yourself think. My oldest was very accomplished in the butterfly. His coach would shout a cadence he wanted Tim to follow. But for the life of me I could not hear him above the din. I asked Tim once, “How do you know the cadence your coach is giving you?” He told me, “Dad, through practice, I know what my coach’s voice sounds like and I block out everything else.” Need I say more? Through practice, we need to know the voice of our Savior. By practicing the means of grace by attending worship, prayer, reading our Bible, by engaging one another in Christian conversation, we learn the sound of the voice of Christ. Listen. Christ is calling.

Application Question: Where will I hear Christ calling today?

Prayer: O Lord my God, help me to listen for Your voice, to be able to pick it out from the many I hear, and to follow You. Amen



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: