Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

"Speak gently in my silence ..."

"Speak gently in my silence. When the loud outer noises of my surroundings and the loud inner noises of my fears keep pulling me away from you, help me to trust that you are still there even when I am unable to hear you. Give me ears to listen to your small, soft voice saying: 'Come to me, you who are overburdened, and I will give you rest ... for I am gentle and humble of heart.' Let that loving voice be my guide. Amen."
With Open Hands by Henri J.M. Nouwen

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

I was drawn to a portion of this little book by Henri Nouwen that talks about prayer and silence because it seems like lately I've not done a fair job of finding much time for either in my life. The summer months are upon us out in West Texas and the calendar is full. God is good to provide so many wonderful opportunities to share the ministry of Faces of Children, but I confess that I'm feeling tired and overwhelmed by the schedule.

The other morning, I did something that I've not done in a long time and it felt so good, so right. I pulled out my Bible and read the devotional for the day in my Upper Room booklet. And then I just sat in silence in God's presence ... trying to still the swirling thoughts in my brain. I practiced listening, waiting, being quiet. What a healing time of prayer and silence.

If you struggle as I do to take those moments for yourself, I hope you will be encouraged by Nouwen's words. We are precious children of God and God wants to be in fellowship with us! We can be blessed and renewed through silence and prayer, through listening to God's gentle, soft voice in those moments of quiet. Thanks be to our loving God!

This coming Wednesday, June 16, 2010, we will meet to lift children in prayer at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride's room at
First Presbyterian Church, Midland. We'll have lunch ($5) and fellowship after our time of prayer.

If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, have authority over them, or, yes, even those who harm them, please send them to me at at
claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Renewed in the silence,
Chris

No comments: