Monday, September 13, 2010

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

"1 Corinthians 15:57-58 to you!"

"It was sin that made death so frightening and law-code guilt that gave sin its leverage, its destructive power. But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three-sin, guilt, death-are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God!

With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don't hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort."
1 Corinthians 15:56-58

The Message Remix: The Bible in Contemporary Language by Eugene H. Peterson

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

A friend signed off on an email to me recently with this message, "1 Corinthians 15:57-58 to you!" Since I haven't memorized Paul's first letter to the church at Corinth yet, I was curious to find out what words of wisdom she'd left me with.

After looking this passage up on BibleGateway.com, I grinned broadly at her words of encouragement to me. "... stand your ground ... don't hold back ... throw yourselves into the work of the Master ..." Yes, these words were appropriate coming from a woman who works hard to stop the trafficking and commercial sexual abuse of girls and women. She is a present day abolitionist of the highest calling and one whom I admire so very much.

I smiled again as I realized that my friend's message was one I wanted to pass on to you, too. Paul's words are an encouragement to each of us in this work of prayer for children at risk. It can be difficult, emotionally demanding work, praying for those who are suffering so terribly. And when we are drained beyond reason, Paul's words of encouragement and support to this church several thousand years ago still ring true today.

So my dear, dear friends, stand your ground, don't hold back, throw yourselves into the work of our Master because nothing we do for Jesus Christ is a waste of time or effort! Thanks be to God!

We will meet on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride's room at
First Presbyterian Church, Midland to throw ourselves into the work of praying for the children of our world. I hope you will be able to join us for this time of prayer and afterwards for lunch ($5) and fellowship.

If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children at risk, those who care for them, have authority over them, or, yes, even those who harm them, please send them to me at at
claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call. Thank you for praying for the children of our global and local communities!

Still smiling,
Chris

No comments: