Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Examination of Faith

“Dear God,
When Mommy told me that
The little baby growing in Margie
Died last night,
I was surprised and angry.
I prayed to You, God.
I prayed every night and
I prayed every day and
We all prayed that this
Sweet little baby would live.
When Mommy told me that
The baby died, I said,
‘Then our prayers didn’t work!
God didn’t listen! God didn’t
Make a miracle for the baby!’
Mommy said that You
Always listen to our prayers,
But sometimes Your answer
Is not what we were wishing for,
And ‘prayers’ are not ‘wishes.’
She said that maybe letting
The baby come into Heaven
As such a tiny angel was a miracle.
There are miracles every single day
Except we don’t always notice them,
Because we were hoping or wanting for
Something different than what we got.
So God,
Thank You for all the miracles
You give to us each day.
And thank You for listening
To all of our prayers.
And even though I am sad about
Margie’s baby, I am not angry with You.
Amen.”

Hope through Heartsongs, by Mattie J.T. Stepanek

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

Not long ago, I was given a book by the late poet, peacemaker, and philosopher Mattie J.T. Stepanek. This young man lived a brief life, but one that was full of spiritual depth and a maturity beyond his age. Mattie’s physical limitations were quite significant—his disability, Dysautonomic Mitochondrial Myopathy, affected his breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, etc. www.mattieonline.com

Yet despite those limitations, Mattie was able to write seven books, give inspirational speeches around the country, make appearances on television programs (Oprah, Good Morning America), and work with national leaders for the cause of peacemaking. By the time Mattie was 13 years old, he had completed most of the courses he needed to graduate from high school. He died just a few weeks before his fourteenth birthday.

Mattie’s poem above, written when he was almost 6 years old, mirrored some of the same doubts I’ve had over the years about my own prayers and their significance. I’ve questioned whether God heard my prayers about people I love who still got worse and died; about significant episodes in my life that were unbearably painful; about situations that didn’t seem to improve for the children involved. And then something will happen to remind me that God has heard and answered each prayer, just not perhaps in the way I wanted.

This poem by a not-quite-6-year-old is just such a reminder. Even though I may never know why certain things happened the way they did (despite my fervent prayers for a different outcome), the words of Mattie’s mother * reassure me that God listens to our prayers and answers them, even though the answer may not be what we had hoped and prayed for all along

Please join us in prayer for children on Wednesday, November 23, 2011, at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride's room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland. Lunch ($5) and fellowship will follow.

If you have requests about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call. Thank you for your faithfulness in prayer for the children of our world.

Celebrating the unexpected answers,

Chris


* I’m not sure I agree with Mattie’s mother’s theory of God “letting” the baby enter Heaven. If including this poem in the weekly devotion has caused you pain because of the loss of a baby or child, I sincerely apologize.

No comments: