Monday, May 10, 2010

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

"Making Others Part of Ourselves"

(Originally from "The Genesee Diary" by Henri J.M. Nouwen)
"When I really bring my friends and the many I pray for into my innermost being and feel their pains, their struggles, their cries in my own soul, then I leave myself, so to speak, and become them, then I have compassion. Compassion lies at the heart of our prayer for our fellow human beings. When I pray for the world, I become the world; when I pray for the endless needs of the millions, my soul expands and wants to embrace them all and bring them into the presence of God. But in the midst of that experience I realize that compassion is not mine but God's gift to me. I cannot embrace the world, but God can. I cannot pray, but God can pray in me. When God became as we are, that is, when God allowed all of us to enter into God's intimate life, it became possible for us to share in God's infinite compassion."

"In praying for others, I lose myself and become the other, only to be found by the divine love which holds the whole of humanity in a compassionate embrace."
The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
Compiled and edited by Wendy Wilson Greer


A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

We will meet to pray for the children of the world on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride's room at
First Presbyterian Church, Midland. We'll have lunch ($5) and fellowship after our time of prayer.

Thank you so much for bringing the pains, the struggles, and the cries of the children of our world into your innermost being-for praying for these vulnerable ones with such faithfulness and persistence. God bless you for this hard work you do every day!

If you would like to share a prayer request or celebration about children, those who care for them, have authority over them, or even for those who harm them, please send them to me at at
claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Celebrating the compassionate embrace of the divine,
Chris

No comments: