Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Invitation to Prayer: TOMORROW

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Despite Many Losses, We’re Never at a Loss


Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:39

“JWe don’t like to dwell on our losses, but our whole lives are filled with losses, endless losses. And every time there are losses, there are choices to be made. You choose to live your losses as passages to anger, blame, hatred, depression, and resentment, or you choose to let these losses be passages to something new, something wider, and deeper. The question is not how to avoid loss and make it not happen, but how to choose it as a passage, as an exodus to greater life and freedom.”

"O God, may your redemptive love showered upon us in Jesus lead us to live holy and happy lives despite our losses.”

Living in Hope: Advent Meditations from the writings of Henri Nouwen by James E. Adams


A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

At the end of January, I’ll be retiring after serving 10 years in this ministry. I leave Faces of Children with mixed emotions. I’m experiencing feelings of excitement about where God will lead me next and feelings of joy that I get to spend more time with our four grandchildren and travel with my husband. Yet, I’m also experiencing feelings of sadness that I’ll be leaving this work about which I’ve become very passionate and feelings of loss as I’ll miss the deep connections to this community of faithful pray-ers. (If you would like to stay in touch, my home email address is: cclaufer@sbcglobal.net.) Bittersweet is probably a good way to describe what is happening in my heart and mind.

Many of you may be thinking, “What’s next for Faces of Children then?” A visioning committee at First Presbyterian Church, Midland is meeting to discern God’s direction for this ministry. Your prayers for these committee members and their work are coveted. At this point, I cannot say what will happen with Faces of Children; however, I can encourage you to continue to pray for children. You can pray for children wherever you might encounter them, whether that’s in person or through some form of media.

I believe the prayer group will continue to meet on Wednesdays.

The Midland Faces of Children prayer group will gather this coming Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:30 a.m. in the Family Life Center conference room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, Afterwards, we'll share lunch ($5) and fellowship.


Thank you so very much for your faithfulness in prayer for the children of our local and global communities. Your prayers matter! I’ve witnessed God answering prayer after prayer that we have surrendered to God and you have been a part of that important prayer work. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Continuing to praying for you with a glad heart,

Chris

No comments: