Monday, May 6, 2013

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Seek Conversion
"Jesus challenges us to move in a totally new direction. He asks for conversion-that is to say, a complete interior turnaround, a transformation....Everything within us seems set against this way. And yet-every time we take a few steps along it, we become aware that something new is happening within us and experience a desire to try yet another step forward. And so, step by step, we come closer to the heart of God, which is the heart of an undiscriminating, always-forgiving, inexhaustible love."


Letters to Marc about Jesus
by Henri J.M. Nouwen

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying ...

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it ...

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of God in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?' Then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.'

Matthew 5:1-2; 7:13-14; 21-23
(NRSV)

"God of the Narrow Gate, I am often a creature of convenience-convenience foods, convenient access to roads, convenient TV remote controls, convenient drive-up windows, and convenience stores. I know that these and many other aspects of modern life make it easier for me. Even still, I want things and people to change and adapt for my benefit. Help me to remember that the hard and steep way is the path to your house and that I must practice 'give and take' rather than the 'take and take' of a world revolving around my needs and wants, my pleasures, my way. Amen."

Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen
by Judy Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

Thank you for praying for children! Your prayers matter in the lives of at-risk children in our local and global communities.

The Faces of Children prayer group will meet to pray for children on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, with lunch ($5) and fellowship to follow.


If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Searching for that narrow gate,

Chris

No comments: