Friday, May 3, 2013

Partners Blog: "Internally Displaced: Talking With The Village Headman"

Steve and Oddny Gumaer started Partners Relief & Development in response to the needs of refugees and displaced people from Burma. This blog is meant to be a more personal stream of conversation than newsletters allow for. The opinions expressed here may not be those of Partners Relief & Development.

Internally Displaced: Talking With The Village Headman

"It would be nearly six hours of human pinball inside the cab of a pickup before we reached our destination. The asphalt had forfeit long ago to rutted mud and what was left of that had choked to a trail impassable any farther by car. Not a minute after the truck doors liberated us, my fellow Karen passengers were spitting Betel nut and watering the nearby trees with a revealing nonchalance. Somehow I had made my way into a dark, soupy puddle deep enough to get the rolled up cuffs of my pants a little wet. Lucky for me, I was still in my sandals. I had brought my boots but they were stowed among all my other jungle toting paraphernalia in back. No one ever tells you how to dress for these things."
CLICK HERE
to read the rest of this post

No comments: