Sunday, March 15, 2015

From @austinseminary ... Devotional for Fourth Sunday of of Lent

Written by professors, graduates, and others in the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary community, these reflections, prayers, and spiritual practices will take you along the journey with Jesus through the cross toward resurrection.


Fourth Sunday of Lent
Sunday, March 15, 2015

Psalm 121
Matthew 16:13–19


Some journeys are fun. Some others are painful! But the journeys always take us to our destination. In my particular case, when I started my own journey of faith, it was out of despair, abandonment, and survival. I was a “baby Christian” at the time, but my God, whom at times I screamed at and looked for in the sky, never left, and as a matter of fact, responded in loving, caring ways. Psalm 121 explains much better how I found God in the midst of total abandonment and desolation: God was everywhere, in the air, in the trees, on top of the hills, and in the valleys!

And then I realized that I was no longer alone! My God, my Rock, the Holy Spirit was around me and with me!!! Yes, it was an amazing, winsome discovery: “The Lord is your guardian, your protector at your right hand; the sun will not strike by day nor the moon by night; the Lord will guard you against all harm; he will guard your life!” Then come the assurance and the blessing: “The Lord will guard you as you come and go, now and forevermore.”

So after you arrive at your destination, you must or should confess and give glory and credit to whom it belongs! That’s what Peter did when Jesus asked: “And how about you? Who do you say I am?” Peter said: “You’re the Christ, the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” I didn’t quite say it that way, but I wish I had; I did begin to tell everyone how much God loves me and how blessed I am to be one of God’s children. And then I become even bolder: I remind those who need to hear it that they are made in the image of God; therefore we are all heirs with Christ, and we must profess that Jesus Christ is Lord!

Like Peter, I did not accomplish this boldness on my own: the Holy Spirit, My Heavenly Father and Mother let me in on this secret of who Jesus is and what He does, not only for me, but for all of humanity!

I also have the assurance that there is no longer a lock in Heaven … I have the key! I have my Jesus and by His power, his death on a cross, his burial and resurrection, I’m free and I have eternal life! What a magnificent gift that we are to share with others! As we wait, repent, lament, we also must begin to prepare our minds and souls to rejoice for the Good News: that through Jesus’ death and resurrection, we are assured a permanent place in the Kingdom of God!

Awesome Creator, help us to remember that You are with us all the time: we only need to look up, to see the sun, the moon, the stars, all gifts that You made for us! And when we look into someone else’s eyes, help us to see the face of Jesus! You made us in your image; we are all your beautiful creation! May we find the promise of everlasting love, in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

– The Reverend Consuelo Donahue (MDiv’96)
Member of Austin Seminary Board of Trustees




For the glory of God and to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary is a seminary in the Presbyterian-Reformed tradition whose mission is to educate and equip individuals for the ordained Christian ministry and other forms of Christian service and leadership; to employ its resources in the service of the church; to promote and engage in critical theological thought and research; and to be a winsome and exemplary community of God's people.

No comments: