Presented by Bible Gateway"Day 2"
"There are three things for which the Christian needs a regular time alone during the day: meditation on the Scripture, prayer, and intercession …
In our meditation we read the text given to us on the strength of the promise that it has something quite personal to say to us for this day and for our standing as Christians․it is not only God’s Word for the community of faith, but also God’s Word for me personally. We are reading the Word of God as God’s Word for us. Therefore, we do not ask what this text has to say to other people. For those of us who are preachers that means we will not ask how we would preach or teach on this text, but what it has to say to us personally."
"CDo not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." — Philippians 4:6-7
Questions to Ponder
• Why are meditation on scripture, prayer, and intercession so important to the life of faith?
• What obstacles might stand in the way of taking time alone daily for meditation on scripture, prayer, and intercession? How might they be overcome?
• How might “reading the Word of God as God’s Word for us,” rather than as God’s word for someone else, lead to spiritual transformation?
“How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through your precepts I get understanding;
therefore I hate every false way.
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.” — Psalm 119:103–105
• In your journal reflect on your present experiences of prayer and meditation. Are they satisfying to you? Do you give enough time to these activities?
• How could you find more time in your daily life for meditation, prayer, and intercession?
• Write about something you’ve learned from meditating on scripture recently. How has it changed the way you are in your relationships or at work?
PPray for encouragement and wisdom for you, your family, and spiritual friends (name them) in reading God’s Word. Pray for discernment in understanding and praying for the needs of others.
Prayer for Today
Lord, draw me to your living Word and let it be for me food for the journey.