Sunday, July 26, 2020

In the News ... GUEST VIEW: "Making the case for a change at Lee High School"

MRT Photo by Kim Denison
"Name of Robert E. Lee High School doesn’t pass the ‘why test,’ does not reflect community’s values"

By Rick Davis, President, Board of Trustees, Midland Independent School District, Contributor
Midland Reporter-Telegram


MIDLAND, TEXAS - I, along with my fellow school board trustees, have been listening to our community’s differing views on whether we should continue to have a high school, and a freshman school, named after Robert E. Lee, the commander of the Confederate States’ army during the American Civil War.

As you would expect, Midlanders have not been shy about making their views known about this sensitive topic through e-mails, letters, and telephone and in-person conversations, and no matter what side of this issue a person communicating with me has been on, virtually everyone has encouraged us to publicly address this issue. I agree.

I recently read an article by Dr. Jim Denison, entitled “What does the Bible say about removing statutes?” that I found to be extremely helpful and consistent with my views. Although it addresses statues and monuments, I believe it also has application to the naming of a school--especially because, generally speaking, students do not have a choice as to which public school they attend ...

Read the rest of this MRT report ...
• Related Story

Midland ISD trustees to vote Monday on Lee High School name change ...

No comments: