Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

"Acknowledge God's Love"

“The most important thing you can say about God's love is that God loves us not because of anything we've done to earn that love, but because God, in total freedom, has decided to love us. At first sight, this doesn't seem to be very inspiring; but if you reflect on it more deeply this thought can affect and influence your life greatly. We're inclined to see our whole existence in terms of quid pro quo. We assume that people will be nice to us if we are nice to them; that they will help us if we help them ... that they will love us if we love them. And so the conviction is deeply rooted in us that being loved is something you have to earn ... We can scarcely conceive of getting something for nothing.”
"Letters to Marc about Jesus" by Henri J.M. Nouwen

"God most high, please take me back again into your love that I can never earn. I confess that I have failed, and that your forgiveness is wholly undeserved. I am mired in the human belief that love is something I earn, that others will only love me if I act as if I love them. What can I do with a love that is not rationed, that is boundless, that cannot be withdrawn. I am truly awed. Grant me the grace to accept this gift. Amen."
"Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen" compiled by Judy Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

Please join us on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s Room at
First Presbyterian Church, Midland, for a time of prayer for the children of our local and global communities, and afterwards for lunch ($5) and fellowship.

Thank you for praying for children ... for loving hurting children through your prayers. May we all experience the abundant love of Jesus Christ, a love that can never be earned. If you have requests about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at
claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

On the journey with you this Lenten season,

Chris

No comments: