Monday, March 28, 2011

Invitation to Prayer

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

"Look for the Spirit"

“The spiritual life can only be real when it is lived in the midst of the pains and joys of the here and now. Therefore we need to begin with a careful look at the way we think, speak, feel, and act ... in order to become more fully aware of our hunger for the Spirit. As long as we have only a vague inner feeling of discontent with our present way of living, and only an indefinite desire for 'things spiritual,' our lives will continue to stagnate ..."

"Our first task is to dispel this vague, murky feeling of discontent and to look critically at how we are living our lives. This requires honesty, courage, and trust. We must honestly unmask and courageously confront our many self-deceptive games. We must trust that our honesty and courage will lead us not to despair, but to a new heaven and a new earth.”
"Making All Things New: An Invitation to the Spiritual Life" by Henri J.M. Nouwen

"Beloved God, chase away my melancholy and ennui with the gift of your grace. Let me actively pursue your spiritual gifts instead of putting off this pursuit out of a vague sense of boredom and doubt. Give me the honesty to unmask my many self-deceptive games so that I may strive wholeheartedly for the kingdom of God. Amen."
"Lent and Easter Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen" compiled by Judy Bauer

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Prayer Partner,

Well now. Who wants to pull out a magnifying glass and look critically at how you're living your life? "Not me," says the spiritually sluggish voice in my head. "I'm doing well just putting one foot in front of the other most days. I really, really don't want to dig around in my cluttered brain and try to figure out the self-deceptive games I play. The status quo is just fine by me."

In fact, I'm not even sure I understand what Nouwen is referring to here. Did this critical self evaluation lead to Nouwen's decision to give up the life of an acclaimed professor at an Ivy League divinity school and go to work with developmentally disabled people at the L'Arche community of Daybreak in Canada? Holy cow, that's a major change!

So if I go poking about with a magnifying glass, challenging the status quo in my life, what on earth am I going to discover? Actively pursuing the spiritual gifts with which God has poured out on me is a bit daunting to say the least. And yes, I confess, I am afraid of change, of letting go of the status quo. Sometimes these Lenten practices can be so disturbingly challenging. Your thoughts?

Please join us on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 11:30 a.m. in the Bride’s Room at
First Presbyterian Church, Midland, for a time of prayer for the children of the world. Please stay afterwards for lunch ($5) and a time of fellowship.

If you have requests about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at
claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

On the journey with you this Lenten season,

Chris

No comments: