Sunday, October 22, 2023

From @mmm_water ... 2023 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2023. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 22, 2023

MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Reverend Marlin Otte
Volunteer and MMM Vice-President, Illinois

"One thing I know, that though I was blind, now I see.” - John 9:25

These are the words of a man born blind who Jesus heals in John 9. For the entire chapter there is a huge debate: Was it his sin that caused the blindness? Was it his parents’ sin? Religious leaders investigate because it was on the sabbath: Who did this? By what authority? By what power? He can’t be from God, someone is lying. All the while the man born blind keeps on saying: “I don’t know about all of this, but I was blind, now I see!” Amazingly, the leaders eventually drive him out! His response is: “Never since the world began has it been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a person born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing.”

Now don’t get me wrong, I would never say that MMM is Jesus! But this passage came to mind when I read Betty Samelson’s quote in the Spring 2023 MMM newsletter. A village headman said after MMM had installed its well: “Since the world has begun, a well has never been put in this village!”

WOW! My first thought was, “That can’t be true!” In our country, protected water wells have been a part of our world since the first immigrants touched our shore 400+ years ago. They brought the technology of well building with them. But in that country, in that village, and in that man’s life he speaks truth! MMM brought the technology to them. Talk about making a difference: not since the world began!

Marion Medical Mission truly makes life changing, mind blowing, and yes, even never before seen in earth’s history! In each village where an MMM well is present, life is certainly healthier, it is easier. They have more time to work their fields, more food, more income, more time for their children to go to school, and every one lives longer because of it. MMM makes a difference. Another lesson to the John 9 story is that without God, MMM could do nothing. We truly believe it and seek to live it in all we do. What we are doing is as basic and life changing as what the blind man said: “I was blind, now I see!” That village was dying with bad water and now they have life giving water! “Glory be to God!”

Application Question: How can I make a difference?

Prayer: Dear God, use me, use my gifts, use my resources and empower my service to make a difference. AMEN



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: