Friday, October 13, 2023

From @mmm_water ... 2022 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 13, 2023

IN THE MIDST OF SETBACKS
Grant Arends
Volunteer, Colorado

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” - Philippians 4: 6-7

With 20+ days of field work, there are going to be inevitable setbacks. Through the grace of God, most if not all will be minor and perhaps even comical upon reflection.

Like the time I ripped off the bumper of the truck. Or the time I drove into a pothole so big that it took 10 volunteers to get the truck out of that hole. I won a t-shirt from Mr. Logan on both occasions providing great laughs for all.

But there were also the two days I was so sick I couldn’t get out of bed in Chitipa. Or the time when our lodging was taken by government officials and we had no choice but to sleep in the back of a bar. I knew this was a serious situation when our Field Officer was scared and instructed us to put all our belongings against the door.

Whether it was a lighthearted situation or a time that was simply quite frightening, I found peace through prayer and scripture. The Apostle Paul writes that we should not be anxious but rather by prayer and petition WITH THANKSGIVING, present your requests to God. Doing so will be peace which transcends all understanding…

Jesus’s disciples experienced the ultimate setback on the Friday that they thought their Lord was lost to them forever hanging from the cross. And then came Sunday. The story of Easter is the ultimate example of overcoming a setback and proves beyond doubt that “the worst day is never the last day.” All of us WILL have a setback of some kind during our time in the field. WHEN that setback occurs remember that God is with you. He will provide you with the strength you need to deal with whatever the situation is.

Application Question: How will I respond to setbacks in my life?

Prayer: Father God – I know that I’m going to get stressed out at some point during my time in the field. During that time, help me remember that You are there. Help me to be calm; to go to You in prayer; and give me strength to overcome the obstacle in my path. Help me remember Your resurrection and that the worst day is NEVER the last day. In Your name we pray. Amen



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: