Tuesday, October 24, 2023

From @mmm_water ... 2023 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2023. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 24, 2023

ASKING FOR HELP
Jan Van Heiningen
Volunteer, Georgia

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.” - Proverbs 3:5-6

Walking to a new well is obviously a group activity. This group includes our installation crew, a builder (who thankfully knows where the well is located), a Field Officer, one or two American volunteers, exuberant villagers, and giggling curious children. Without this blessed group of experienced Africans, all of the volunteers from the USA would be hopelessly lost! Often when I’m driving, I count my blessings that I am not in the bush without someone to tell me on which goat path to drive!

It was a typical day of well installations. We arrived at the vicinity of our next well and everyone exited the truck, gathered and double-checked all the well parts and took off down another dusty pathway. For some reason, I stayed a little longer at the truck and when I looked up – everyone was out of sight. I gathered my hat, my water bottle, the laptop, the truck key, and started down the unusually quiet path. Suddenly I found myself at the point where the path became two paths – one to the right, and one to the left. No problem – I thought – I can find our team by following the sound of the celebratory singing. I paused – I listened – I heard nothing. Venturing off alone was not an option especially since I was the one with the truck key.

Again, listening for and hearing no familiar well installation noises, I decided it was a good time to ask the Lord for some help. Leaning on my own understanding was definitely not working. As I opened my eyes, I looked down again at both paths, and studied the footprints in the dirt. In the left pathway, I saw the definite outline of a Nike tennis shoe that was nearly covered over by little children’s bare feet. I knew that the barely visible shoeprint was indeed my partner’s shoe and the left pathway was my answered prayer. I followed the path until I finally found our team surrounded by large banana trees that had obscured my view and had muffled the happy sounds of this village. Thank you Lord for showing me the way ... again.

Ulemu Kwa Mulungu - Glory to God!

Application Question: Why do we often call on God for answers to problems only when we are in trouble?

Prayer: Forgive us Lord when we try to figure out the answers to problems without Your guidance. Thank You for giving us answers to situations even when we don’t turn to You first. Amen



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: