Monday, April 7, 2014

Invitation to Prayer: Wednesday ... NEW Location

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Speak God’s Word Boldly


“Let me retain innocence and simplicity in the midst of this complex world. I realize that I have to be informed, that I have to study the many problems facing the world, and that I have to try to understand as well as possible the dynamics of our contemporary society. But what really counts is that all this information, knowledge, and insight allow me to speak more clearly and unambiguously your truthful word. Do not allow evil powers to seduce me with the complexities of the world’s problems, but give me the strength to think clearly, speak freely, and act boldly in your service.”

A Cry for Mercy: Prayers from the Genesee by Henri J. M. Nouwen

“Stay alert. This is hazardous work I’m assigning you. You’re going to be like sheep running through a wolf pack, so don’t call attention to yourselves. Be as cunning as a snake, inoffensive as a dove. Don’t be naive. Some people will impugn your motives, others will smear your reputation—just because you believe in me. Don’t be upset when they haul you before the civil authorities. Without knowing it, they’ve done you—and me—a favor, given you a platform for preaching the kingdom news! And don’t worry about what you’ll say or how you’ll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your God will supply the words."

Matthew 10:16-20, from The Message by Eugene Peterson


A Cry for Mercy: Prayers from the Genesee by Henri J. M. Nouwen

“Holy God, I sometimes lack the courage to live out my Christian convictions, especially as I confront a world in which knowledge is often corrupted and information is twisted to fit the circumstances. All these complexities can overshadow the Good News of the Gospels and manipulate this world of ours toward disaster. Grant me the courage to show the dove of innocence and simplicity in a world so full of serpents. Give me strength to remain detached from the world’s destructiveness and help me to proclaim the goodness of God with boldness and assurance. Amen."

Lent and Easter Wisdom by Henri J. M. Nouwen

A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Intercessor,

The renovation process at First Presbyterian Church, Midland has officially begun and, let me tell you, every available inch of space is being used in the rooms not involved in the renovation! Our previous location, room 217, has been cordoned off for asbestos abatement, so we are now meeting in what was once the weight room in the Family Life Center gym. Don’t worry, all the furniture from the Bride’s room has been moved there and it is just like what we’re used to (aside from the random basketball hitting the windows ).

The Midland Faces of Children prayer group will meet in this new conference roomon Wednesday, April 9, 2014, at 11:30 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church-Midland,You can can park in either the Texas or Illinois street lots next to the Family Life Center and just head toward the gym. You’ll see the new meeting space at the back of the gym. We will have lunch ($5) and fellowship after our time of prayer. I hope you will be able to join us.

If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Blessings,

Chris

No comments: