Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Invitation to Prayer: TOMORROW

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Responding to God's Love


“God says, ‘I love you with an everlasting love,’ and Jesus came to tell us that. When Jesus was baptized, he heard a voice that said, ‘You are my beloved, on whom God’s favor rests.’ That’s a very important statement that Jesus wants us to hear. We are the Beloved, not because we did anything, not because we proved ourselves. Basically, God loves us whatever we do. If that’s true, these few years that we are in the world, we are sent to say, in the midst of our life, ‘Yes, God, I love you, too.’

Just as God cares for us, it’s very important that we care for God in the world. If God is born like a little baby, God cannot walk or speak unless someone teaches God. That’s the story of Jesus, who needs human beings in order to grow. God is saying, ‘I want to be weak so you can love me. What better way to help you respond to my love than becoming weak so you can care for me?’ God becomes a stumbling God who falls at the cross, who dies for us, and who is totally in need of love. God does this so that we can get close. The God who loves us is a God who becomes vulnerable, dependent in the manger and dependent on the cross, a God who basically is saying, ‘Are you there for me?’

God, you could say, is waiting for our answer. In a very mysterious way, God is dependent on us. God is saying, ‘I want to be vulnerable, I need your love. I have a desire for your affirmation of my love.’ God is a jealous God in the sense of wanting our love and wanting us to say yes. That’s why in the end of the Gospel of John, Jesus asks Peter three times, ‘Do you love me?’ God is waiting for us to respond. Life gives us endless opportunities for that response.”

The Road to Peace by Henri J. M. Nouwen


A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Intercessor,

The Midland Faces of Children prayer group will meet on Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 11:30 a.m. in the Family Life Center conference room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, Afterwards, we will have lunch ($5) and fellowship.


I hope you are able to join us as we pray for the children of our local and global communities.

Thank you for your faithfulness in prayer for the littlest citizens of God’s Kingdom! If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Grace and peace,

Chris

No comments: