Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Invitation to Prayer: TOMORROW

Faces of Children is an ecumenical prayer ministry under the auspices of First Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas. Our mission is to initiate ministries of prayer for children in churches, communities, and neighborhoods. In doing so, we seek to provide an opportunity for people of God to join together, learn about children and their needs throughout the world, and celebrate Christ's love (especially as it relates to children).

Responding to God's Love (continued)


“Jesus could walk faithfully through life. He was praised and he was criticized, he was admired and he was despised; he was asked to be king and he was crucified. But he was faithful to the Voice. That is what prayer is all about ...

Jesus went at night to pray, to listen to the Voice, to claim he is already the Beloved. Immediately after that, he heard another voice. The devil said: ‘You have to prove you are the Beloved. Change stone to bread or jump from the temple and the angels will catch you—get some power and have influence.’ Jesus said: ‘I don’t have to prove I am the Beloved; I am already.’

For us to work for justice and peace and really be activists in the good sense of the word is to do it not because we need to prove to ourselves or anybody that we are worth loving. Rather, it is because we are so in touch with our belovedness that we are free to act according to the truth and say no to injustice and say yes when we see justice and peace.

I feel that once we are in touch with our belovedness, we will better see the gifts that come to us from people who affirm that in us. Therefore, the great obstacle which prevents the Spirit working in us is self-rejection. The greatest obstacle to the Sprit working in us is that we say to ourselves that we are useless, we are nothing.

Once I know I am the Beloved, once I start discovering that in me, then the Spirit can work in me and in others; then we can do wonderful things. Now, once I say, ‘No, God doesn’t love me, I am not as good as everyone else,’ somehow I do not claim the truth that Jesus came to proclaim.”

Discipleship and Reconciliation by Henri J. M. Nouwen


A message from Chris Laufer, Coordinator, Faces of Children

Greetings, Faces of Children Intercessor,

The Midland Faces of Children prayer group will meet on Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 11:30 a.m. in the Family Life Center conference room at First Presbyterian Church-Midland, Afterwards, we will have lunch ($5) and fellowship.


I hope you are able to join us as we pray for the children of our local and global communities.

Thank you for your faithfulness in prayer for the littlest citizens of God’s Kingdom! If you have prayer concerns or celebrations about children, those who care for them, those who have authority over them, or those who harm them (the really hard prayers to say sometimes), please send them to me at at claufer@facesofchildren.net, or give me a call.

Grace and peace,

Chris

No comments: