Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mercy Trips Summer Outreach: "A great first day with patients"


Partnering with local healthcare workers and churches in medically underserved countries, Odessa, Texas-based Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach provides free medical clinics and surgical care as an outreach of Christian love for our fellow man. 



A great first day with patients"

The team had a great first day with patients today, both teams worked at the Health Center at Karugutu today - I know, not the schedule I sent out, but the byword for short term missions is FLEXIBILITY. The surgical team had a bit of a chaotic and slow start, mostly due to the surgical team leader being a day late to the party, but I feel the team bonded well with the Ugandans helping us out in the OR and we will pick up steam tomorrow. We performed 3 surgeries, including two significantly complex hernia repairs.

The clinic team had some challenges related to the workspace they were in, but had a good day in the end. A total of 603 people received some type of treatment or service including; vaccinations, deworming, vitamin A for children, mosquito nets, or provider examination and medication.

Team thoughts for the day: Funniest , weirdest, and/or the sweetest thing you've seen so far..

I was honored to be in the OR today. There was a lady waiting to begin surgery and I checked her vitals, placed IV and began a friendship. Of course the patient was nervous and I got to be the one to be able to calm her nerves. Before you knew it, She offered to braid my hair. I love how friendly everyone is and I look forward to tomorrow! --- Natalie

Sweetest moment- in the chaotic OR environment with 10 -15 people, two of our loving team members went around to make sure the patients were comfortable and feeling less anxious( shout out to Jasmine and Natalie for their kindness :) ---Jetcy

Sweetest was seeing natalie with the children in the village. She truly loves the people here and wants to give them her unconditional love! Funniest was Judy in the OR She runs circles around everybody! ---Jasmin

Watching my novice OR nurses calming the patient's fears and the resident doctors learn our "sterile" ways. ---Judi

The children are amazing ---Johnette

So sweet today working with my mom and teaching her about dispensing drug. --- Shannon

Funny, the male patients taking their jacket off and having me hold it it while I took vitals. Cute they know I can multifunction because I'm a woman ~ Marie

Amazing team we work with..., Giving a Mom with a seriously ill child special favors to keep her from having to wait. Listen to the kids laugh!!! ---Jack

So blessed to walk up to our building this morning to see Pastor Moses talking with the people who came for clinic. He took time to explain who we were and why we had come and that we were not from the government. Most importantly, he explained Jesus and His Love. ---Christine

The surgical team was getting ready to leave the hospital, and a woman as very insistent that we all get out of the van to take a pic with her. When we got out to oblige, a comedy of errors ensued between her and her daughter trying to get the pic on her phone, because the daughter's phone was full, and she didn't know how to delete any pics to make room for a new one. Also the woman looked like she could be pregnant and I asked if she was with child, she said " yes this is my daughter" pointing to the teenager with the phone. Guess I need to work on my Ugandan English communication skills. -- Craig

Visit Mercy Trips' Facebook page for this and other posts.



Mercy Trips Healthcare Outreach
P.O. Box 13795
Odessa, TX 79768

No comments: