Friday, September 27, 2019

From @mmm_water ... 2019 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 14 - October 28 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2019. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

September 27, 2019

LISTENING TO GOD'S CALL
Kimberly Richey
MMM Director of Development, Illinois

“Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!”
Matthew 6:8

Business suits & high heels – these were the trappings of my life when MMM blew into my world. Tom & Jocelyn Logan were my childhood Sunday School teachers, so I’ve admired MMM from its earliest beginnings. In summer of 2016, I had absolutely no interest in Africa beyond occasional donations. However, when an email said Tom needed help working with donors, God nagged for a response. Much like Moses arguing with the burning bush, I tried several avoidance tactics, but eventually, I responded. Ill-equipped and unprepared, I forged ahead. A year later, I planned my first trip to Africa. Again, ill-equipped and unprepared, I fell in love with the people of Africa, and my life will never be the same.

Things are so different in Africa. Work is physical, exhausting and dirty. Emotions are ever-present as we’re briefly welcomed into lives which need so much, and yet they share so freely. Faces are transparent and welcoming, loving one another without restriction or judgment. The people are thankful for everything we share with them. They value basic necessities and treasure the smallest gifts. Americans have so much and treasure so little. We protect our hearts, ignoring so many who need love and kindnesses. When I left Africa, I left much of my self behind, and I look at everything differently.

As I prepare for my next trip, I’m still feeling ill-equipped and unprepared – others are going to expect me to help new volunteers navigate the difficult, and sometimes dangerous, world where we work. I still have much to learn. I know there are others who are more experienced and knowledgeable. Really, God, couldn’t I serve somewhere more comfortable? But from the beginning, God has brought me where I needed to be, even before I knew what I needed. I never had this life on my goal posters … but I continue to trust that I’m exactly where I need to be to grow, spiritually and personally.

Application Question: Where is God calling you to step out of your comfort zone and grow?

Prayer: Father, thank You for stretching me and not allowing me to remain the same. Help me to trust Your guidance into uncomfortable places, and to remember that You know what I need, even before I ask. Amen.




Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing our MMM devotions! I wrote this contribution months ago and had almost forgotten what I wrote...it came back to me at just the right time, when I need to be reminded to get out of my comfort zone and listen to God's call. I pray everyone who reads it will listen a little more carefully this week, as well!