Tuesday, October 12, 2021

From @mmm_water ... 2021 Well Season: Daily Devotional

September 1 - October 31 is Marion Medical Mission Well Season for 2021. The season will include daily devotionals - one for each day the U.S. volunteers are overseas, sharing the love of Jesus by providing safe, clean, sustainable sources of drinking water to the extreme poor in sub-Saharan Africa. Marion Medical Mission is one of our mission partners at Grace Presbyterian Church of Midland, Texas, and we STRONGLY encourage you to read these devotions to learn more about - and pray for! - their mission.

October 12, 2021

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR
Jim Calloway
Volunteer, Illinois

"For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14

On my first trip to Africa with MMM I can barely remember what I said at the first few well dedications. Ed Hoke, my partner, gave the first one and said to me, “The next one’s yours.” I WAS TERRIFIED. What could I, a complete stranger from a faraway place, possibly have to say to these people? I was struck dumb and, despite Ed’s encouragement, I avoided the whole first day of dedications. On the second day I stuck pretty much to the script given to us at our training day in Mponela.

But as the days went on and we moved from well to well, I kept myself open and aware to the simple and welcoming reception from the villagers at each place. Slowly, it dawned on me the true nature of why I had come so far to do so much in so little time – I was in Africa to practice the simple act of loving my neighbor in a place completely remote and removed from my normal comfort zone at home.

With that realization, the well dedications came easily and were the most important part of my day. Yes, I was a visitor at each village for only a short time but the opportunity to share with them the gift of a well that was truly a neighborhood project between they, the Malawi staff, and these strange volunteers from America served to strengthen my absolute belief in the power of Paul’s reminder. Every well dedication became a joy and a chance to witness, however briefly, the truth that we are truly all neighbors no matter what the distance that might separate us.

Perhaps it is necessary to leave the comfort and familiarity of our own communities to witness the true meaning of Christ’s love in the world and to experience how we are all brothers and sisters in that Love.

Application Question: Will you look for a stranger you can treat as your neighbor today?

Prayer: CCreator God, help me to remember this day that we are all your children and in community with your creation. Give me the wisdom to treat each person I meet today as someone who is, indeed, a neighbor and a friend.



Looking for Easy Ways to Help?

Follow us on social media! Liking, commenting on, and sharing our posts helps increase our exposure so that new supporters will find us! Writing a quick, 5-star review on Google or recommending us on Facebook are also great ways to share our mission!

Visit Our Website ...


No comments: